Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Trend: Wood In Interior Design





With Christmas approaching and wintery temperatures outside, I am totally drawn to natural materials. Especially to wood to be precise. I love the cosy and homey look of wood in interior design. Moreover, not only it's a sustainable material but it's also very versatile and can add a rustic as well as a modern look to interiors. With this in mind I browsed the internet on the search for something that could translate this idea into a real space and I was lucky - I found two amazing examples that exhibit the power of wood in interiors and showcase the individual ways of using it. By coincidence, both homes that I'd like to tour with you today are Dutch. 




The first home is a stunning example of a barn-turned-home: Wood is the dominating material and demonstrates its power of linking traditional, rustic feels, with modern design approaches. Pay attention to the extraordinary little wooden stools and industrial style lamps that add a very modern and functional touch to this traditional home. Isn't it super cool?




The second example is an Amsterdam based home that has a very modern kind of design approach with modular solutions made of wood. Here again, wood dominates the rooms but it's partly painted in whites and blacks to add drama and structure to the space. The geometric notches are an amazing example of the wood's versatility for interior design. I love how they conveyed this idea throughout the home - perfectly executed in the kitchen, where even the kitchen shelves have the geometric shapes. Thumbs up!

Photography via Marie Claire Maison

18 comments :

  1. I do love wood in interiors, particularly when it's part of a more urban palette. Two nice differing examples thanks :-)

    Hope you don't mind me sharing... these are some cool wood interior pics:
    http://pinterest.com/pin/97179304428958308/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/97179304428958307/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/97179304428938695/
    http://pinterest.com/pin/97179304428901006/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more, wood brings so many possibilities with its versatility. When I lived in California I loved all of the wood ceilings in the homes there - they always helped create a warm or modern feel for rooms (often dependent on whether they were painted). And of course, I'm a huge lover of wooden floors. So homey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think wood warms up a home, and it´s always nice to bring hints of wood if you have a black and white home... Love the contrast!

    Lovely photos you are showing here today!

    Have a great day, Igor!
    Hugs, Nina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defo agree that wood warms up a home. I have a few oak pieces in my place and I like how it has this timeless, comforting feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy i've stumbled across your blog. I love that wooden geometric cut out kitchen, I've never seen anything like it before. I may have to incorporate something like that in my new flat. The dutch are so great at design, Amsterdam is like a design lovers dream!
    Saskia x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. I love the wood ceilings. Not do-able in my house, but a gal can dream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see that you all share my love and passion for wood in interiors. Now I just have to find myself a place with wood:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. glad i've stumbled across your blog, Igor!

    Gruss

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been touring a lot of Dutch homes lately; these definitely are superior, when it comes to design (I've seen way too much Ikea in Holland homes).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Igor, I'm so happy to dropped by your blog, as it's really gorgeous and so it jumped on my lovely blog list right away.
    Thanks for sharing your love and passion.

    Have a great evening.
    Lysann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Maria, Tara and Lysann! I appreciate your comments so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so true what you say about wood's linking power for trad/rustic and modern. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wood really does seem to be a growing trend in interiors (although it never really goes out of style).

    I really like the picture you labelled as 'wood in modern spaces' - it shows exactly how wood can add balance and warmth to a modern interior.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Sarah. I agree with you - I think wood is a sort of interiors' evergreen:-) I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Igor! I love your blog! I am wondering where this sectional was purchased? I am looking for one exactly the same.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @galiny: I am not sure to be honest but it looks pretty much custom made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Loving the articles on the blog keeps me updated on the interior tips.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...