Monday, November 28, 2011

From Place To Space: Dublin



Traditionally, I am inviting you on Mondays to a little virtual trip entitled 'From Place To Space'. Today I am taking you to the Irish capital Dublin. When I visited Dublin, I didn't know what exactly to expect. A wanna-be city? A less spectacular version of London? Pub town? And then I unpacked in the hotel and took off for a city tour - and loved every bit of it. I was surprised by the energy in the city, the vibrant atmosphere, great sights, lots of culture and a good'n'healthy shopping spree.




I visited the venerable Trinity College and its breath-taking library, I spotted great museums and galleries during the Dublin Culture Night, had a few pints of Guiness, and paid tribute to one of my all time favorite writers, Oscar Wilde. And when it comes to interior design, I can't help but feast on traditional interiors - I am thinking of the opulent drawing rooms where Mr. Wilde met his friends and attended parties. Ah, luckily there is a good deal of hotels in Dublin bursting with traditional interior design - residing there takes you on the fast lane to the 19th century and its opulence, decadence and extravaganza. Moreover, I spied (online) into the home of Sharon Greene, the brain behind the eclectic Dublin Flea Market and had a look at Klickity, a Dublin based design studio renowned for its contemporary product design, and found a cool Etsy shop selling typography posters inspired by the Dublin subway. Have you been to Dublin?



Photography: I in Dublin, The Temple Bar, Oscar Wilde, Drinking Guiness all by Igor Josifovic; Detail of Sharon Greene's home via House & Home Ireland; Typography posters via Etsy; Buskers via Enthralled by Beauty; Pendant lampshades via Klickity; Tailored Tradition via Ireland's Home Interiors & Living; Hotel pictures via The Shelbourne Dublin.

13 comments :

  1. Great post... I'm glad you enjoyed Dublin. Next time you'll have to head north to my home city of Belfast. It's quite a Victorian city (I guess Dublin is known for more Georgian architecture). Belfast is perhaps more relaxed, pretty cosmopolitan and much less touristy. You'd like it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip, Gerard! Ireland is still on my itinerary. Love the 'green island' :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh if you do go to Belfast read my guide I wrote for Design*Sponge! Great post - with a nice pint of Guinness to top it off Mr!
    Meagan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must Meagan! I am hearing lots of good thing about Belfast. Need to work on my travel plans:-) Have a great Monday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see an Irish connection this morning! You'll definitely have to visit here again! I'm based in Cork so all about the south and west coast, west cork and kerry is particularly stunning and filled within hidden treasures not to mind the fab food! not that i'm biased or anything! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ciara, that is exactly why I have to come back to Ireland! Last time it was "just" a weekend trip to Dublin. So lots more to discover next time I come!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ein schöner Ausflug. Was noch niemals da... aber Deine Bilder laden direkt zu einem Besuch der Stadt ein. Liebe Grüße!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww man I would love to check out Dublin! I miss how in Europe everything is so close together and you can just hop on a train and be in a different country in just a few short hours-- or a cheap-y Ryan Air flight! Love how the top photo before the old matches your header!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Place to Space series. I've never been to Dublin, but my husband is half Irish, so it's on our list, big time! From what I sense of it, you've captured it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to Ireland (shocking, I know, given how close it is) but your round up sure has me keen to visit! P.S. Love the fun shot of you drinking the Guinness!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I would love to visit Dublin! Have you seen the rom-com Leap Year, by the way? (It's so bad it's good)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments:-)
    @Chedva: No, haven't seen this one but watched P.S. I love you and loved the Irish scenery:-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm loving your 'place to space' features, really really great. Best!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...