Friday, November 18, 2011

Happily Ever After: Ethnic Inspiration


I'd like to live happily ever after...in ethnic inspired interiors.

Some of you might know that my family roots lie in the Balkans, to be precise in Serbia. So throughout my childhood I was faced with many ethnic inspired elements in my parents' home. I've despised some of those traditional elements such as handmade crochet work. I admit. But then, I was always drawn to the wonderful oriental rugs and cushions at my grandparents' house in southern Serbia. 




So I decided to dedicate today's 'Happily Ever After' blog post to ethnic inspiration. Ethnic as a word can encompass a wide array of traditional inspirations from every corner of the world. However, I focused on a few styles that are widely known as Aztec, Navajo or - of course - Balkan and orient inspired. 



I like the fact that ethnic elements can be used as accents to juxtapose interior styles or to add focal points in rooms. Thus, I am convinced that an ethnic rug for example can perfectly work in an urban apartment with modern furniture and accessories. After all, it's all about playing and finding the personal style. In a nutshell: Make a statement with your very own interior design!


Photography: Camel pic via Desert Dreamer; Serbian Pirot kilim via kilimpirot.com; Artpiece "Eunuch" via Art.com; bedroom via Design Sponge; hallway via Re-Nest; baskets on wall via Rooms for the Revolution; Aztec rug via Pinterest; rug pattern via Pinterest; workspace via Design Labyrinth; Mexican Tree of Life via Tilton Fenwick; ethnic fabrics via Simplified Minimalism; Serbian Pirot kilim in chapel via Tanjica Perovic.

19 comments :

  1. Me too! Love seeing how bloggers like Justina from Compai incorporate ethnic textiles in their decor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is fabulous, indeed!!! Oh and one day when I come to Israel, I have to bring back some oriental fabrics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you both, Justina is the Jungalow Queen! Fab post, Igor. Interesting to hear how your childhood environment shaped your decor tastes! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The thing that strikes me from each of these gorgeous pictures is how stunning those ethnic colors look against bright white walls. Wonderful post again, Igor. This is definitely a happy stop on my day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lauren. Your comments make me happy on a daily basis:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous colors and textiles...I desperately need some rugs like those;) Wishing you a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these ethnic accents - I have some blue ikat pillows on my bed but now I feel like I need more of these great pieces! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let's try this again (work with me Blogger!) - I am DYING to buy that Aztec rug. I need it, it needs me! Love the ethnic feel.
    As always Igor - great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful textures and color. More ideas for my apartment :D
    Oh ... And it reminds me of my fave ethnic item, its my grandmother's vintage trunk that she brings when she escaped china before the world war 2.. Hand craved wood. It took 2 man to carry it around. No wheel by that time ... Haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. I totally agree with Meagan... the ethnic look is truely wonderful!
    Thank you for remembering and inspiring me.
    Have a nice, sunny weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all my friends! Glad I could inspire you a little bit:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have just discovered your blog and have to say it's gorgeous! Love these ethnic style interiors, it is one of my favourite decorating styles and these are some perfect examples :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm such a fan of gorgeous textiles...and these are just amazing. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loving this post and hearing about your personal story. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Jeanine! Your comment is so appreciated! You know, I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was searching some ethnic inspiration via google images for my jewelry when I saw this camel. I think he could be my best client ever! LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you. Interior Designers Gold Coas

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post. Gold Coast Interior Design Firm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Gold Coast Interior Designers

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...