Monday, November 21, 2011

From Place To Space: Brussels





It's time for a new trip to gather interior inspiration. Ready? Buckle up and join me on a happy voyage to the charming Belgian capital (and technically speaking, the capital of the European Union) Brussels. The Atomium is supposed to be one of the city's landmarks, but I am way more drawn to the old part of the town with magnificent buildings and facades that take you on the fast lane to past centuries and refined visual aesthetics. Strolling down the cobbled streets of old Brussels will enchant every visitor. I love the blend of styles and inspirations that is evident all over Belgium. You will find a blend of French, Dutch, German inspirations (all these are official languages, too) - all these blend together to a unique Belgian style. 






That is also reflected in sophisticated interiors. There are so many stunning interiors that even the publisher Taschen decided to issue a book entitled 'Brussels Style'. I need not mention the plethora of ravishing little stores dotted throughout the city with beautiful home decor and luscious chocolates. For those of you who can't avoid diving into tasty adventures too, don't forget to try the compulsory Belgian waffle with chocolate and fresh fruits, real Belgian 'pommes frites', Belgian mussels, and one of hundreds of beers. And: never, never forget to buy a few boxes of delightful Belgian pralines as a souvenir. Most of the time I end up eating them all by myself though. Having said this, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves now! P.S. Brussels has a number of super cool and stylish hotels among them fabulous ones like the Pantone Hotel or the quirky Hotel Bloom!

Photography: Me in Brussels by Igor Josifovic; Brussels Style book via Amazon; Brussels old town via Travel Europe Tumblr; Midy & Almada Brussels home pic 1-6 via Elle Decor; Tenbosch Brussels home pic 7 & 8 via Apartment Therapy; Hotel pics via Pantone Hotel

11 comments :

  1. What a quirky hotel lobby. Those brightly colored bikes are fun and so unexpected. And who could resist sitting in those colorful chairs while sipping a cup of coffee - it really says, "Wake up!". Thanks for shaing a slice of Bressels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hab gerade Deinen Blog entdeckt! I like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danke, Rike:-) Ich bin ja noch recht neu:-)

    @Cyndi: You're very welcome. Brussels is always worth a trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just talking to my husband about "real Belgian 'pommes frites'"...yum! Loved this Brussels post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post !!! I loved Brussels too(hmm, the yummy waffels, and the raspberry beer...), and I so want to go to the Pantone hotel !!!!! Thanks for being such an inspiration Mister Happy ! And for making your happiness contagious !! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Hotel Bloom _ have U been before? Each room has illustrated walls by different artists - and the rooms are really affordable too. I'd make sure you pick you own room though rather than go through a vendor! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @PopArtRockGirlYeah! Actually during that trip I stayed at the Bloom hotel - it was fabulous and I had a really cool & stylish room!

    Thank you all!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful..last year we travelled to Brussels and I loved it! Actually, I'm pretty much in love with everything European. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Igor. Nice to see Brussels as more than just the EU capital (which on the news is so dull & boring). Think I'd love the old town as well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I need to go to Brussels! I've been once before, but I was young and all I remember is Manneken Pis (lol!) and awesome pommes frites. I am in love with the coffee table in pic #7 and the pendant lights in #8. 'Till next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw a beautiful shop here in Brussels in Bascule called Flowerbox. Of course, this goes out to those who love plants. It is a completely new idea of bringing life to your walls where you can compose your own flowerbox with various plants. I was amazed to have received a wonderful service there. I recommend to those who are also looking for an original gift. Here is the address in case you want to drop by, Chausée de Waterloo 563. The shop is in red color by Delhaize, so you won't be able to miss it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...