Friday, November 4, 2011

Happily Ever After: 1950s Interior Design


I'd like to live happily ever after with...interior design inspired by the quirky and stylish 1950s! Join me today on a funny retro time travel - and the easiest way to do so is with happy interior design inspired by the 1950s.





Think of "Some Like It Hot", Elvis Presley, Cary Grant, the upcoming Pop Art, or even movies like The Talented Mr. Ripley that brought a past era back to our screens and simultaneously revived a very distinct, stylish and somewhat quirky approach to interior styling. Kidney-shaped tables, brighter colours than in previous decades, patterned wallpaper - all these an much more marked the 1950s, the 'era of the consumer'. Some of the greatest designers such as Charles and Ray Eames, Robin and Lucienne Day, or Arne Jacobsen set design classic in the 1950s - classics to last forever! Even today many of us love and cherish a mid-century influenced interior style that highlights the unique and timeless design of a past decade. We rummage on flea markets, we forage our parents' attics, or cherish the vintage furniture given to us by our grandparents. Enough reasons to make a toast to the 1950!

Photography: Colour palette via Fjord Design; Anson sofa via Cococozy; Arne Vodder sideboard via Bukowskis; Pierre Guariche floor lamp via Galerie Sommerlath; Alina pillow via Crate & Barrel; Mid-Century inspired poster via Etsy; Sanderson Fifi wallpaper via John Lewis; Festival wallpaper via Minimoderns;  The Talented Mr. Ripley book via Paperplus; vintage telephone via Etsy.

16 comments :

  1. love, love, love the 50s!...and 60s... and 70s... and 20s/30s/40s.
    o.k. I don't like the 80s and 90s... or maybe a little bit?... I´m a kid of the 80s... so some things from the 80s and 90s become just cool...
    greetings,
    wibke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wibke:-) I love the 50s and 60s in particular:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that sofa - it's very Mad Men, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is, Chi:-) I thought of Mad Men all the time to be honest:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this time period and your inspiration photos were spot on - love the inclusion of the book cover as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Katherine:-) I love the 50s, too. And the book cover was just perfect with the illustration of those 50s design specs:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving that sideboard! totally looking for a vintage sideboard for my dining room...problem is i need to find the right size to fit! great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Igor. Some fab pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love 50s decor! if my house mates would let me, the whole house would be 50s inspired :)
    Stu
    http://whatwilsonwants.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know of your good taste, Stu:-) thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can I join you in the 50's please?! Love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How delish!

    Found your blog via Pinterest.

    LOVE my 1951 house with matching Wedgewood stove. Oh yes I do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1950's all the way. No better era, timeless pieces I could keep on collecting, if only I had the space. Nice Blog Igor.

    Regards from Johnny in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good answer back in return of this issue with firm arguments and explaining
    everything about that.
    Feel free to surf my web site ; how to make an app

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, that was really very helpful. Please share more such updates.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...