Monday, November 5, 2012

From Place To Space: Fuerteventura - Part Two


Hello my dear readers! As promised last Monday, when I started my little recap of the beautiful island of Fuerteventura, I am taking you further to discover more inspiring corners of this Canary island. Last week was all about beaches and the turquoise coloured sea, today I am taking you to the island's mountainous centre and its ancient capital, Betancuria.

Fuerteventura offers more than just sublime beaches - the best spot to experience the island's history and culture is the ancient capital of Betancuria. It is located between mountain tops, covered with lush palm trees, sweet scented fig bushes and picturesque cacti and completely set up of traditional old white houses. The highlight is the cathedral of Santa Maria de Betancuria which was built in 1410 and is a great example of a fortified clerical architecture. The interior of the church is incredibly fascinating - a combination of stone and wood with the typical Spanish figurines of saints dressed in precious and colourful fabrics. Unfortunately, taking pictures was prohibited so you gotta believe my words.



Another highlight (at least to me) was the abundance of small artisan shops offering local handmade ceramics and wickerwork. As you can imagine, I couldn't leave Betancuria without taking a little vase with me - this one.


Absolutely recommended is a visit to the local aloe vera shop (plus you can order online, too). Fuerteventura is known for its excellent aloe vera quality and in the shop you will get a little insight into the production of pure aloe leaf juice and its processing into high quality cosmetic products. Unlike many other aloe vera products on the market, these contain up to 99.5 % pure aloe vera extract. While the packaging lacks some great design, the products qualities were convincing enough and I shopped myself happy.



After a good discovery tour of Betancuria I recommend a final break at - at least for me - the island's best restaurant: Casa Santa Maria. Leafy courtyards are more than inviting and so are the owners and the menu. Try the island's specialty, young goat roast. I tried it for the very first time and it was absolutely divine (sorry to all vegetarians out there). It was probably the best meat I've ever tasted. 

This rounds today's trip up. I hope to see you back tomorrow!

Photography by Igor Josifovic


17 comments :

  1. I love the look of the pottery, especially as it reminds me of visiting huge ceramic shops when I went on family holidays to Portugal as a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm aloƫ vera! There's nothing better against sunburn or irritated skin. Love it! Looks like you had a blast on Fuerteventura :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always learn so much here Igor! Fuerteventura looks absolutely amazing - the mountains, the palm trees, the colours, the pottery and wicker, the ALOE VERA (omg, never seen anything like that!).

    Thanks for sharing Igor - gosh am I happy to be back reading my favourite blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Holly! So nice to see you back here!!

      Delete
  4. What a fun trip! Beautiful colors on local artisans' potteries and wicker baskets! I would love one of those baskets. I love Aloe Vera ... and it's insane to see that pure Aloe Vera juice! Now I'm getting online to check the products out! what did you get Igor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got myself a little vase and some aloe vera products!

      Delete
    2. hey Igor. .. so which Aloe Vera products do you recommend? Think I will order a couple to try :)

      Delete
    3. I bought the pure Aloe Vera Extract which is ideal for a regimen since you can eat/drink it with a yoghurt, fruit juice etc. It has great health benefits as it is literally pure aloe vera extract. Plus I bought their hand cream and an eye cream - both excellent and pleasantly scented!

      Delete
    4. oh .... time to shop!! extract as regimen and eye cream: checked!

      Delete
  5. Igor you're so so Lucky!!!
    I Love Aloe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spot ceramics for 1 euro! If only I could go there today to stock up! Love the aloe vera shop too, would love to visit that one.
    Thanks for sharing the beauty with us. This really looks like a wonderful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh dear, what a colorful heaven. such a great write up with elaborate details as always, Igor. Again, i love your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloe gel?????WOW!!I like so much the ceramics!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah it looks lovely, thanks for the tour! Love the signage for Casa Santa Maria too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This trip is just what my eyes needed today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...