Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Why This Room Caught My Eye


I truly believe in the notion that colour equals happiness. Now some of you who are devotees of the monochromatic approach in interior design might disagree with me here, but hey, this is a place to go crazy and berserk when it comes to homes. So today's room that caught my eye is a perfect example of a real colour explosion. Here are the three reasons that made my jaw drop:
  • Eclectic colour mix: I know it's not for everyone, but this eclectic colour mix just made my eye go all over this room. The funky art, the two bright Stool 60 examples by Alvar Aalto, the multi-coloured and multi-patterned home textiles - all comes together into a happy room.
  • Dark walls: In order to make all the strong colours pop, the owner has decided to go dark with the walls. An excellent backdrop for all the brights!
  • Bright yellow sofa: The yellow sofa serves as a sort of visual anchor in this room. It draws the eye and sets the tone for all the other colours and patterns. 
More of this colourful apartment can be found here. What do you think of this room? Cool and funky or way too colourful and chaotic? I'm curious to know your opinion!

Photography by Trevor Tondro for The New York Times

9 comments :

  1. Fun and funky - love the Dylan poster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I really love this home. The use of colour is amazing.

    Ingvild

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a splash of colour, but here they've gone for a deluge.

    There's a Pet Shop Boys poster in one of the other rooms of this home that I'd love, but that's where it ends for me. That said, the owner's kinda cute and a Tina Turner fan, so that's cool ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. It looks all over the place but actually isn't. Yes there is a mix of patterns but the black and white carpet echoes the black walls and the owner used pretty much only the three primary colors (red, blue and yellow) combined with black to achieve this look, and he does so consistently through the entire house. Great result. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure I personally could live with it - but it definitely works as a look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, dear Igor. I guess you won't be surprised to know that this is way to fun and funky for me ;) However, if that's what you're going for, the dark wall strategy is really great for bringing bright colours to the forefront.

    Love these posts!

    Xx. Holly.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...