Thursday, October 10, 2013

Urban Jungle Bloggers: A Community Garden In Vancouver



For the second post of our monthly 'Urban Jungle Bloggers' series we chose the topic of green neighbourhoods. Since a real urban gardener loves interior gardens as much as exterior ones, we opted for this topic. Moreover, the various posts written by all participating bloggers such as Judith or Jocelyn will show us the variety of green spaces in urban areas. 


Now, some of you know that I am just back from a three-weeks trip to Canada and the USA and I thought I'll give you an idea what I had discovered in the Canadian West Coast metropolis Vancouver: the Davie Village Community Garden in the city's West End district.

If it wasn't for my little shopping spree on Davie Street, I would have never discovered this garden. I passed by and was amazed by the idea of a community garden with plots growing flowers, fruits, vegetables right in the middle of the city. Even though this garden looked a bit wild in some of its corners, I loved the idea of gardening in the city. This is a concept that is hardly known in Europe - I have not seen anything similar here in Munich so far nor have I encountered such an urban garden in Paris or any other city I traveled to. 

I admit, I would probably rent a plot in such an urban community garden if we had one here. I mean imagine the wonderful, soothing power of gardening after a busy day at work. Plus you grow your own veggies right in the city. Fun! 

On my trip through Canada and the USA I have seen very similar community gardens in Seattle, Portland and San Francisco. Plus I have noticed many buildings with rooftop gardens, many of which also had beehives to produce honey that would then be sold in local cafés and restaurant. 


All these encounters convinced me that urban gardening is growing beyond a trend. That it is rather a shift in our perception of everyday living, of what we expect of our lives. We love our urban lives but want more of nature in it, we prefer organic food over processed food, we buy local produce instead of imported stuff. We cherish both, our urban lifestyle and the desire to be surrounded by green spaces. Hence the urban gardens. What do you think of such a community garden? Are there such gardens in your city? I am curious, let me know!


Urban Jungle Bloggers is a monthly series by 3 bloggers: Igor (Happy Interior Blog), Jocelyn (The Little Room of Style) and Judith (JOELIX.com). Every month we share ideas to create an urban jungle through styling ideas, DIYs and green tips & tricks. You can find additional inspiration on our Urban Jungle Bloggers Pinterest board. Want to join? Use #urbanjungle on Twitter and Instagram. Or let us know and we'll share the badge and upcoming topics with you. Let's bring some green into your homes and blogs!

Photography by Igor Josifovic

20 comments :

  1. Igor, thank you for a lovely tour of this community garden! I love the concept of community gardens, I feel they have a special way of bringing people together to live a healthier and more vibrant life. If I lived close to this little gem I would be growing my veggies there too! Have a great day! Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I love strolling around community gardens! This one in Vancouver looks so alive, those cole crops look so tasty. Growing your own veggies makes eating them such a different experience, a very proud one ;) Not far from where I live are several community gardens, mostly used to grow veggies (and a few flowers), but nothing just as fancy as the one you show us today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous place! Great series Igor. I took some pics for you yesterday and then wiped them out on Picasa last night! Hoping I can find them in my re-cycling box! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do find them! I'd love to see what you snapped, Caroline!

      Delete
  4. Τελειος κηπος!
    Εμαθα οτι στην Αθηνα η δημοσια σχολη κηποτεχνίας δεινει κομματι απο τον κηπο της σε οποιον θελει να το καλλιεργεί και μετά τον βοηθα να πουλήσει τα λαχανικα ή φρουτα σε λαική αγορά.


    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Μα τι υπέροχη ιδέα! Πρέπει να πάω στον κήπο της σχολής όταν θα είμαι στην Αθήνα επόμενη φορά!

      Delete
  5. Love the concept of the community gardens. I'd love to find one of them around here, it would help me accept living in an apartment without a balcony ;-) lovely day xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love community gardens! This one looks like a gardeners dream ;) So lovely to see different gardens through this serie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really really great idea and lovley impressions...i found some time ago something similar like these gardens, too...and they were located in Berlin...unfortunately i couldn´t remember the site name...;)...fine that you have a lovley time overseas...a big hug and see you very soon, Mr. Happy...greetings from Ulm...i...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love community gardens! It's a shame a haven't one near me, otherwise I would plant my vegetables down there. For that reason I plant some in my balcony. Thanks for sharing.

    Ligia

    ReplyDelete
  9. FAB with a community garden - loving this new series of yours. happy day and good to have you back my friend,
    Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Anya! And it's so good to be back with you all!!

      Delete
  10. Brilliant. I love it how your little shopping spree brought you to an urban jungle.

    I was working on getting some allotments together where I live but not sure the council will play game:-( London has many urban jungles though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to take me on a little 'urban jungle' tour next time in London, Tina:-)

      Delete
  11. Excellent, makes me want to go out and explore more, too. Feeling inspired for my next Urban Jungle Bloggers post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so pleased that you liked my city, Igor! There are many more gems like this lurking in our city; perhaps a bike trip along some of our many cycle routes should be on your agenda next time?! Come in the summer when the various markets are in full swing, when gardeners sell their extras on street corners, when communities host 'Art in the Garden' tours (some with open houses as well), when food carts are in abundance, and when you can eat the best sushi on one of our many beaches watching the sunset over English Bay.

    I love your fun and inspiring blog; you offer us new and unusual ideas. Ganz liebe Gruesse an Muenchen, wirklich eine Stadt mit Herz!

    Best wishes from the Pacific Coast,
    -Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. fabulous!! - both the story and your images! omg. that pic of the kohlrabi (?) at the end is stunning!

    Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great series! These gardens make for great photos! Love Jocelyn's and Judith's posts too. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice post.
    Yes, we have multiple, urban community gardens, and those of us with enough space also have our own gardens. I'm in Utah, also in the western U.S. Maybe it's a thing in the West, though I don't think so. I bet there are urban community gardens all over the United States.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love, love, love.. Urban gardening is very popular in Zagreb and there is many of them in suburbia. The City Government planning to give more space so I am looking forward to apply for some green area of my own. Igor, the photos are amazing! I enjoyed the complete series of your USA & Canada trip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...