Monday, October 14, 2013

From Place To Space: Discovering Vancouver



It’s been a week now that I am back from my trip to Canada and the USA and my lightweight jet lag has been worked off properly so I thought I’ll start with my series of travel related posts covering my 3-weeks road trip experience to North America. Last week I had a soft launch with this post about a community garden in Vancouver. The Canadian West Coast metropolis was my first stop so here we go with a little Vancouver recap.


Vancouver is a great travel destination: You like city life. Check. You like nature. Check. You like mountains, you like beaches? Double check. Vancouver has managed to acquire an enviable image. It is the city where urban life & nature collide, where people are very, I mean very outdoorsy and where a sporty attitude is a prerequisite for future inhabitants. The possibilities for a healthy outdoor life are paramount: bike trails everywhere, an abundance of parks, water sport activities, hiking and climbing spaces just to mention a few. And that outdoorsy attitude is omnipresent on the city’s streets.



For a first time visitor like myself the most important to-see destinations were quickly determined: the busy waterfront, bustling Gastown with its cool shops, bars and restaurants, a stroll through Chinatown (did you know Vancouver has the largest Asian community in North America), walk’n’shop in the liberal West End, discovering the famous Granville Market, a cruise on the Burrard Inlet. And I herewith confirm – yes, do all of this if you end up in Vancouver one day.



And with all the outdoor activities you can count on one phenomenon: hunger. To tackle that problem opt for a healthy, locally grown lunch in the beautiful restaurant ‘Rainier Provisions’ in Gastown or a bite at ‘Nelson the Seagull’ followed by yummy donuts from the Cartems Donuterie (I had the earl grey donut with rose petals) and topped with a delicious cup of tea (and more tea to take home) at David’s Tea or a fresh coffee at Revolver Brew Bar.


But the best food experience will lead you on a boat at first: Take the water taxi to Granville island and discover the abundance of food at Granville market – you can’t resist the all the juicy, fresh fruits, the luscious delicatessen and fresh bread and pastries. You can easily spend the entire day there eating and drinking, walking around, visiting art galleries, the famous Emily Carr University of Art and Design, and one of the many breweries with local microbrews.




For a serene, almost zen-like experience head to the Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Chinese Garden – you can either join a guided tour or do it my way: Stroll around by yourself, discover hidden corners, sit down and contemplate, behold the beauty of the jade tigers, sip on a cup of Chinese green tea, and challenge yourself in Chinese calligraphy – at least you’ll know if your talented or not. I know now. I’m not.

For more nature in town experiences take a boat cruise on the Burrard Inlet to opposite North Vancouver, walk around the immense Stanley Park and sit down at sunset hour on Second Beach or the English Bay to immerse yourself in the flaming reds and oranges of a Pacific sunset. Don’t miss the trendy Yaletown quarter with cool shops, restaurants and a hip crowd. During my stay in Vancouver, I’ve discovered two very cool interior design stores that I will share with you in separate blog posts soon. Stay tuned!

I left Vancouver invigorated with a fresh spirit of an urban life that has embraced its surroundings – the beautiful and vast nature – and has defined urban life in its own terms: a life strongly bound to nature and outdoor activities. A pretty healthy city life.

Photography by Igor Josifovic

16 comments :

  1. Welcome back Igor, have enjoyed following your Instagram trip through Vancouver, one of my home towns, since we visit every other year, as my husband's family live there. You've got it spot on. It's such a beautiful city and I think the people there are just so friendly. Some new places for me to see when I next go in summer. Have a lovely week. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Igor, ein wunderschöner Einblick in diese tolle Stadt! Ich habe sehr viel von Vancouver gehört, von dem Lifestyle dort, der tollen Natur, auf der einen Seite Berge, auf der anderen Seite der Ocean. Und Seattle ist auch um die Ecke;) Schade nur, dass es so ewig weit von Deutschland ist...
    Viele Grüße
    Kasia
    ps. ein toller Blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the feeling I would be travelling visually on your blog today so I had my coffee and biscotti ready before opening it. The city looks wonderful - love seeing it with your eyes. And I love, love, love the calligraphy!!! I pretty sure that with just a little practice you would get better ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing your Instagram of that adorable coffee shop/cafe - really fun to see it's colourful vibe again! I think I would really like Vancouver because I've always liked to live in urban spaces that have easy access to the countryside and outdoor activities. The shot of the sea planes is top notch, too! It's been on my must-visit for quite some time and this post has shot it up the list even higher! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vancouver is such a beautiful city, i always wanted to go there. And your post didnt help with that. Thank you for the tipps and lively description of the city!
    have a great day! Yours, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Basically, yet another city I can't bring Cédric to for fear he'll want to pick up our lives and move there! Truth be told, it looks like a city we would fall in love with - absolutely stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your photos, Igor! They really captures the atmosphere. I've never been to V but now it's on my list ;) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have had an amzaing time, these pics are just lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a really wonderful destination!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vancouver is AMAZING. My son was born there, and then we had to move. Now we are in NYC, but i still prefer Vancouver. NICE POST it reminds me all the places I have been there :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely post, Igor! The photos are gorgeous as always and gave me a new sense of Vancouver. I always seemed to find myself rushing through the beautiful city but now I have seen so much through your lens. The photo of the boats at the harbor is stunning! Oh and denim is so great on you! Hugs, Jocelyn x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Igor your trip looks amazing. I must go with my husband sometime soon!
    xx Alecia

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great city! I love armchair travel so thank you for this.
    Always enjoy seeing you in the pics:-) Is it already a week since you're back? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you ALL for your great comments. I feel honored!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How nice to 'come along'! Looks like you had a great time and that Vancover is a pretty cool place. I'm ashamed as a Canadian to say I don't know much about it. I come from the other side ;) Have only ever been to Victoria, once. It was beautiful.

    Look forward to those interior shops!

    Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun to see our city through your eyes and lens! Funny when you live here, you forget sometimes the beauty - gettting caught up in daily life.... lovely photo's. DIdn't know you can try out calligraphy at Dr. Sun Yat-Sen, must go check that out! Sorry I missed you though! You should've emailed me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...