Friday, October 18, 2013

Scandinavian Simplicity: Saariwood Furniture


Even though I promised it's over with my references to this summer's DesignTrade show in Copenhagen, I still have a few news that I brought back home and don't want to keep just for myself. One of them is also a new Finnish company producing furniture made of Finnish birch wood: Saariwood.

Saariwood has its roots in the craftsmanship tradition of the founding Saari family. The founders believe in the essence derived from the vast Finnish nature, the simplicity of good design, and the quality of craftsmanship inherited from previous generations. To accomplish all these they use locally grown wood from Finland, they work with young Finnish design talents and rely on handmade quality.

On a first glance one might think that the furniture design is too simplistic - but the refinement lies in the details. The workmanship of each furniture piece is carried out with utmost proficiency. And the wood has that unique feel when touched. Moreover, Saariwood has strong ecological beliefs and sources the Finnish birch from local forests and pays due attention to a sustainable production process. Thus you not only get well designed and produced furniture pieces, but also furniture that is good to the environment. A win-win I'd say. 

Photography via Saariwood

13 comments :

  1. It is very simple, and maybe a little too much so for me. However, the quality and ecological factors are strong buying incentives and the settee/sofa does look great. Have a good weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good remark, Carole! I had the same first impression but then it got me thinking about design/functionality/ecological factors. I was pondering which pieces of furniture need to stand out visually from a design point of view and which ones are fine to be unpretentious, only convincing with good quality of material and craftsmanship. This was a reason why I opted to present Saariwood:-) Happy weekend my friend!!

      Delete
  2. I am indeed a Saariwood fan Igor & it's great to see you presenting their clean and honest designs here. In fact can I also add a cheeky link to my own Saariwood article please ;-) http://www.walnutgreydesign.com/design-2/saariwood-finnish-craft-in-modern-clothes/ Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You see my friend, we also have mutual design likes! I'm not all about fancy shmancy and colourful:-) I loved your piece on Saariwood - I read it as an inspiration in fact. Thanks for linking up! Have a fab Friday, Gerard!

      Delete
  3. Hahahaha! "fancy shmancy and colourful", cracked me up!!

    Yes, I did very much like Saariwood when I saw it on the Walnutgrey Zine:-) I like the whole story and what they stand for. They very kindly emailed me to see if I wanted to blog about them but unfortunately I don't use any external photography so it was not possible at this time.

    Nice to see them again here.

    To you my friend, a happy happy weekend. Bisous from London!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Igor and Gerard! Thank you guys for your so positive and encouraging comments on our brand. Saariwood says thank you -- KIITOS in finnish! Wish you both great weekend. We had snowfall here in Helsinki today!! Rgs. Kirsti/Saariwood

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina to Colourliving! My thanks go to you, too! Best regards from Helsinki!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the story behind the brand. I am a fan!

    Have a great weekend Igor!

    xx Alecia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing and clean design. Pure 100% scandinavian style

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to confess I do have a 'bit of a thing' for Scandinavian design. Lovely furniture and fab blog! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always a fan of simplicity. The design really works for me. I love how this simple designs can make a house a very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Looks great and comfortable. Those furnitures are awesome. Best quality furniture that will blow our mind. Thank you for sharing valuable information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love your work...
    So beautiful and an inspiring blog.
    Thank you :).Bedroom Furniture Online

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...