Monday, August 20, 2012

From Place To Space: Serbia


After my ten days family getaway to Serbia, it was more than clear that I need to share a few snapshots of the country of my family's origins. Well, here we are. Join me on a little walk through the Serbian countryside.


To me, holidays in Serbia are all about family, nature, time off. It is the place where I unwind completely. No internet, no duties, no rush. It's all about catching up with my family, strolling over the farmers market with my auntie, wandering lush gardens full of grapes, plums, figs, medlars, gardens rich with tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. It is about visiting century old monasteries and churches, reminiscing about past times, thinking about future plans, and living for the very moment.




Serbia is not a typical country for holidays. To swim in the Mediterranean you have to sit in a car and take a few hours of driving to get to Montenegro or Greece. But it is a great place to discover the past and forgotten treasures. In Serbia, a farmers market is not a hotspot for a sustainability conscious crowd of hipsters. It is the daily 'supermarket' for the normal folks. Old, weathered facades speak of past times and the urge to renovate and upcycle seems to have come to an eternal halt. 


Much of it might be a side effect of decades of war and uncertainty. But some of it is the result of the Serbian mentality. Like every other mentality too, it has its drawbacks. But I cherish its good sides: the endless hospitality, the ability to smile and joke in all circumstances, the high appreciation of family bonds. 

Holidays in Serbia are not about lifestyle, chic hotels and lush beaches. They are about unwinding, evaluating what counts in life, and cherishing the simple things. And you will leave with the ability to smile at any obstacle in your life. That's what I bring back as a souvenir from Serbia! 

Photography by Igor Josifovic

27 comments :

  1. Hi Igor!I love Serbia,and i want to visit your country!Our countries have so much in common!And for that reason i follow you!We had friends Serbians in Athens after the war.Have i nice week,and i,ll be glad if you follow me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very special place for you...and I love how you've captured it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful text and pics! Good to have a look at real "unstyled" life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Igor

    Lucky boy! Last week our girl had her birthday. We made a great party. And also her half-serbian godfather joined us. So it was no surprise, that we said cheers with jelen pivo. HA!

    Have a nice day and i hope to see more of this lovely pics.

    Best wishes
    die Baumhausfee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post. It really is these simple things in life that are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous photos Igor!the last one is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe, not only the pegs, Igor, I think we somehow have a very similar idea to what is the ideal way to spend our days off (apart from the sea =P, hehe)! Great shots too =)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the sea, I keep coming to agapimeni mou Ellada!

      Delete
  8. Great pictures Igor. And there really is nothing better then getting a reality check, in a world where we can get so caught up in technology,these moments bring us back down to earth and remind us of the things that are most important! A valuable lesson for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pictures;) Nice blog indeed....Lisette from Norway

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures, I never thought about going to Serbia but you make me want to go now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise.from.copenhagenAugust 25, 2012 at 10:00 AM

      Definately agree!

      Delete
  11. This post warmed my heart.
    Thank you Igor for that beautiful walk in your home country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm, so richtig Sommer. Schön.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Igor, I just found you:)) great words, great ideas and pictures... beautiful ... I stay longer, that's sure :)
    Many hugs from Poland
    Agnieszka

    ReplyDelete
  14. Igor, this must be one of my favourites posts.... your brilliant photos and the accompanying text is fantastic story telling. I'm sold, warts and all;))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing part of your vacation here with us Igor! Your images are beautiful. And the way you describe what a family vacation means to you is really inspiring. I will make sure to reread this before I visit back home to remind me of the importance of such trips. Great post Xx.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post. There really is no place like home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You managed to capture beautiful pictures and the your explanation about the place is captivated me. This is one of my fave post for your awesome series places to spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi dear Igor,

    beginning my weekend and gradual return to reading my favorite blogs often from yours. I'm glad I do and I had to stop here to share my thoughts cause I simply love the photos you take, love the way you present them and honestly reading your thoughts makes me feel relaxed, happy & at ease. Big, big smile :)

    I cannot stop smiling at this: "... a farmers market is not a hotspot for a sustainability conscious crowd of hipsters" as I come from a country where this is (or at least has been) the truth.

    And then I'll take with me this and keep it warmly in heart & mind:
    "... the ability to smile at any obstacle in your life".

    After what has been a partly chosen and partly shelf imposed period of totally slowing down with on line life, spending just but a few minutes here makes clear that I do so much love to be part of all this, which makes its disadvantages (or what I perceive them as such) to look so small & unimportant.

    Have a great weekend ahead!
    Polla filakia
    Iro xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Igor for this beautiful visit to Serbia! Although I enjoy drooling over paradise beaches and fantastic hotels, I feel much more inspired by this kind of post where you get to discover and share pieces of real life!
    Thanks for that and enjoy your weekend!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never been more proud of where I'm from! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know if you've seen and used this as your inspiration, but I'm sure it'll make your mouth water :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIwNwZwNXuA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is fabulous, Bojana! Thanks for the link!!!

      Delete
  22. Just linked to this from Tina @colourliving:)

    We can become so involved in life becoming faster and faster, with no time to stop and think. It is wonderful you have this structure to hold you up - and you describe it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures with us!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...