Monday, May 14, 2012

From Place To Space: Naples & Pompeii



A new week, a new adventure. This time it’s even a bit more, it’s a ‚birthday adventure’. Some of you might know that I celebrated my birthday yesterday and I thought it’s a good idea to take you on a birthday trip. Last year a childhood dream of mine came true and I went to visit the excavations of the ancient city of Pompeii and climb the volcano Mount Vesuvius. I was staying in Naples and experienced that south Italian port town as well. But let me guide you through.


Let’s start with the host city, Naples. Napoli is located in southern Italy and is the regional capital of the Campania province. It is situated underneath the volcano Mount Vesuvius on a wide Mediterranean bay. Enough romanticism. The city is a mess. Let’s put it clear. When I arrived in Rome and rented a car, the person at the counter asked where I wanted to go with it. After saying Napoli he raised his eyebrow and I think he sold us a triple insurance. A fact I came to appreciate after experiencing the Neapolitan traffic. The only rule that applies: honk the hell out of it and don’t give in!

Beside the fact that Naples seem to be in a contant chaos and is plagued with several binmen strikes a year, I happened to discover some charming corners, particularly in the old town. The narrow streets and little shops are full of Italian authenticity – way more than the polished stradas of Rome or Milano. And the food, the food. No words. You must try it. I haven’t had one single mediocre dish while being there. Everything was incredibly yummy and fresh. And if you happen to visit Naples one day, don’t miss the best pizza in town in ‚Da Michele’ – a tiny little tavern with just a few pizzas on the menu and incredibly low prices. Plus, this little place hosted some world famous stars that are depicted on the restaurant’s walls. And another little culinary tip: In some pizzerias you will find a teasing dessert pizza - a pizza with Nutella. Nothing more to add!

The main reason for my trip was the ancient town of Pompeii. During my childhood, I always wanted to become some sort of Indiana Jones and Pompeii was the most fascinating spot on earth for me. Thus, I spent a whole day wandering the cobbled streets of the ancient town that gives you an excelllent idea of how people used to live 2000 years ago. The almost perfectly preserved examples of architecture and interior design – yes I paid attention to that too – is simply stunning. The richness of interior frescoes, the abundance of colours and the refined structures of ancient homes was worth every chaotic minute in Naples. To round-up my last year’s birthday I climbed the volcano Mount Vesuvius up to his main crater and enjoyed a magnificent view of the coast and Naples.


You might ask now ‚what about this year’s birthday trip“? Well, this on is yet to come and will be featured here soon. Happy new week!

Photography by Igor Josifovic

16 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A belated happy birthday! Sounds like a really nice trip, apart from the naples chaos. Hope I get to see Pompeii myself some day. Now I'm curious about your this year's birthday trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a nice one! I returned from my Paris trip (and yes, I tried that falafel you recommended. Makes me want to go back to Marais just to have another!) After Paris, I spent a few days in Istanbul and just returned this morning. Was thinking of you at the Grand Bazaar with all the kilims and traditional turkish rugs displayed. Not to mention that your palate would adoooore Turkish food. Have you been there yet? If not, it's a must. I'll send some photos soon. Lots of lovely Happy things to read and look at here after 2 weeks on the road! Hugs from B.

    P.S. Pompeii! My not-so-childhood-as-much-as-current dream!!!! I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bojana! Glad you had a fab time in Paris and Istanbul! I was in Istanbul a few years ago but still plan to go there again - predominately to shop:-))

      Delete
  4. It's funny Pompeii was my childhood dream as well (I also love Indiana Jones) but I realized my dream a little earlier than you (I was 16 when I went). It's just a magical place that feels like travelling to the past. And Naples pizza is definatly the best! Ciao

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you loved it as much as I did. I was simply stunned and enjoyed every minute. Oh yes, and every bite too:-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing! I love these pics and just put Naples on my 'must-visit' list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday Igor! This trip must have been great! I would love to wander trough the streets of old Naples too. Your reportage is so good that I can even smell all that great food :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never been to Naples or Pompeii. Of course I've heard about the Naples mess but everyone I know who has visited seem to love the city, and everyone talks about the good food. I remember being fascinated with Pompeii when I was young after seeing some film in two parts about the volcanic eruption.

    Happy Birthday again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been, but this post sure does make me want to visit (as well as being excited for this summer's trip!) That snap of you climbing makes me crack up!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated birthday to you, Igor!
    Seeing you happy discovering places and spaces makes me always smile and my day a bit happier! Thanks, my dear! Look forward to your post about your this years happy birthday.

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pompeii looks incredible. I can still smell the Vesuvius lava rock I had to draw in still life classes at school.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. You conjure up such a vivid description of Napoli. Love your description of it as a city "plagued with several binmen strikes a year".

    Your trip to climb Vesuvius looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  12. We went there 2 years ago http://unetouchede.canalblog.com/archives/2010/07/26/18671135.html
    It was wonderful !! Pompeii was also one of my children dreams ;-)
    Your pictures are great !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm from Naples and you are right, it's a crazy town but I love with some of it's contradictions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice blog i like your information


    http://www.kitchenremodelingnaples.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...