Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Why This Room Caught My Eye


It's been quite a while that I featured a kitchen in my weekly 'Why this room caught my eye' blog series but today I am drawn by this fabulous kitchen for its excellent design. It is a great example of a combination of two styles, something that seems ambiguous at the first sight, but perfectly works when thoughtfully put together. The cold, industrial stainless steel fronts with the vibrant, warm kilim rug for example - a great way to create visual contrast and interest. But let me put it together in three short bullet points:
  • Stainless Steel Kitchen Fronts: I love stainless steel kitchen fronts, especially when combined with other materials for the worktop as for example wood or stone/marble. When choosing stainless steel fronts, I prefer to opt for so-called smudge-proof surfaces that don't show fingerprints etc.
  • Vintage Kilim Rug: I have never thought of a vintage kilim rug for a kitchen. But it works so well in this example, especially as it is juxtaposed to the modern, clean and almost industrial look of the stainless steel kitchen fronts.
  • Adjustable Sconces: How about opting for an alternative to the so often used fluorescent tubes above kitchen worktops that disperse unpleasant light and love to flicker after a while? I like the idea of adjustable sconces as here showcased. You can adjust them to your current needs and highlight certain areas of your workplace. Smart and good looking!
Speaking of kitchens I would also like to share with you the video of the food blogger event that I had organized for Siemens Home Appliances two weeks ago. I gathered some of Germany's finest food and lifestyle bloggers for a fun event in our cookingLounge in Munich. See how fun it was in this little video (and hear me speak German):



Photography via Trendenser, Video via Siemens Home

13 comments :

  1. Love the steel and marble in the kitchen. Great video, looked like so much fun. Maybe you should come and do something like that for us in London ;) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Geraldine - and well, maybe I should think of expanding my blogger event skills to other markets. Let's see what the future brings:-) Have a fab day!

      Delete
  2. I always love something unexpected like a vintage rug in a modern room, this works so well and looks great. That food event looks like so much fun, though I'd probably get stuck staying at the Viktualienmarkt - it's been way too long since I've been to Munich :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely my point, Carole! Because it is so unexpected it works so well! I think we have to get out of classical approaches in interior design by adding that certain "je ne sais quoi" :-) And the Viktualienmarkt is a real treat here in Munich, you should come back one day!!

      Delete
  3. Just love the combination of industrial and ethnic, my kind of kitchen aswell! xo Btw, lovely video :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have never thought of putting such a rug in a kitchen and it fits so well with the steel and marble. It gives life to the cold materials of the kitchen. I agree with Geraldine, you should bring these kind of events outside of Germany as well ... it looks like it was so much fun (and yummy ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alors quoi:-) I must expand to France - I have the idea of a fabulous food blogger event in a Mas provencal, probably in an olive grow in front of it...ok, I am daydreaming!

      Delete
  5. I love that kitchen! It's a perfect mix
    Serena

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the video! I'm sure it was a lovely time you spent with all that lovely bloggers. The food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Toll! Ich liebe Kelims.
    Willst Du vielleicht mal meine Kelims?? sehen :-)? Gerade habe ich wieder einen "veröffentlicht".
    Bin gespannt, Igor, wie Du sie findest.
    Liebe Grüße
    Angelika

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a fab kitchen- I love the cool tones of the steel and marble warmed up with that stunning rug!

    ReplyDelete
  9. how does it come that kilim rugs are always a good choice, no matter if its a bohemian place or something industrial. they fit always!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...