Friday, November 1, 2013

Book Review: Make It Your Own


I wish I were a DIY talent. I really wish. Ever more since I got hold of Anna Alicia's book 'Make it your own' with 25 wonderful DIY ideas for the home a few weeks ago (published by Hardie Grant Books). However, this book is not only for the absolute crafty pro - a few very simple ideas are feasible even for untalented chaps like myself.  But if you do have a crafty side, you will definitely enjoy this book with great step-by-step guides for lovely handmade home project. Let me show you my favorite four projects.

Idea One: You sewing people out there - will anybody please make this super cute pompom blanket for me? I am totally smitten by this blanket with an ethnic vibe and brightly coloured pompoms.  

Idea Two: This idea seems a lot more feasible for me - handmade wooden bookends. I love bookends as they are one of those objects that have a very smart function as well as nice decorative touch. 

Idea Three: Textile wall hangings are currently trending - I am pretty sure you noticed that on many blogs and Pinterest boards. This book offers a few simple ideas how to create your very own, customized wall hanging. I love this one with a graphic print.

Idea Four: Truth be told, this is the simplest DIY idea in this book and the most realistic one for me. I might actually do this sooner or later for the monthly blog series 'Urban Jungle Bloggers'. I better read carefully what Anna Alicia suggests for this project.

Are you a DIY person? If so, what was your favorite DIY project? I am curious!


Photography by Igor Josifovic

16 comments :

  1. oh I wish I were :))))) I 'm going to try and make lampshade with coffee filters right now ....for my sister as christmas present :) keep your fingers crossed :)))greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea!! I wish you good luck, I am so not talented!! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  2. Lovely ideas. I love the pompom blanket, and the painted pot holders. I made a few things, but now I 've been a bit lazy, I have to start again.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to paint some plant pots soon, I've planned it for so long but never found the time! Happy weekend!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love DIY books! My favourite of the four ideas you've featured is the pom pom blanket. Everything's better with pom poms! :D

    Thanks for the review and have a great weekend, Igor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so with you, Chi! Pompoms make me smile - they inherit a certain kind of decor magic:-) Happy weekend!

      Delete
  4. This makes me laugh. In the 80's I used to make scarves with trimmings... yes many Pompoms.

    I also painted pots....
    Maybe I've outgrown this now, which show my age!
    Happy weekend Igor:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually think it's not a question of age. At least not directly. I think the older we get, the busier our lives, the less time we have for DIY projects. At least this accounts for me. This and my total incapability of executing something properly. LOL

      Delete
  5. This looks like a fun book, although I'm totally DIY-incompetent. But it's always nice to get inspired and then let others execute it for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also wir haben pompom decken und Handtücher für die Kids bei Zara Home gekauft...Weile her kommt aber immer mal wieder ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Die hab ich da auch schonmal gesehen, sind mir aber dann doch einen Ticken zu kindlich. Ich hätte da dann bitte gerne eine erwachsene Version von:-)

      Delete
  7. Ich mag DIY:) Ich werde nächste Woche gleich zu Dussmann gehen und mir das Buch anschauen:)
    Ich habe bisher zwei Sachen so verändert, dass man es DIY nennen kann;) und finde sie können sich sehen lassen. Es sind zwei runde Spiegel vom Flohmarkt, eins in schwarz und eins in weiß. Im Baumarkt habe ich ein dünnes Kettchen aus Metall gekauft, durchgeschnitten und jeweils an beiden Spiegeln mit Reiszwecken befestigt. Jetzt hängt der weiße Spiegel über dem Vertiko und der schwarze Spiegel über eine Kommode. Ich verändere viele von den Sachen, die ich vom Flohmarkt mitbringe oder ich streiche die Möbel in den Farben an, die in mein Wohnkonzept passen:)
    Ich fürchte allerdings ich bin eher grob motorisch veranlagt und würde die Pompoms auch nicht hinbekommen;))

    Liebe Grüße
    Kasia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great looking book, thanks for sharing Igor. Is it available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes Raina, it's available through Amazon, see here http://www.amazon.com/Make-It-Your-Own-Projects/dp/1742705995/ref=sr_1_1

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a nice book!

    I like the patterned textile wall hanging idea.

    I'm not a DIY person, but part of me wishes I was. Which is why I collect and admire clever projects. Maybe one day...

    Xx.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...