Monday, February 17, 2014

Highlights From The Stockholm Furniture Fair




The fourth design show in a row since January took me to Stockholm recently. Last week I shared with you some highlight stands seen on the Stockholm Furniture & Light Fair and today I want to take you on another stroll through the design fair with me. And promised, this time it is going to be a bit more colorful (though color remains scarce in Scandinavian design).


This time I'd decided to skip the obvious Scandinavian favorites like Muuto, Normann Copenhagen and others since I had seen them on the other fairs earlier this year. I was roaming around in search for new discoveries and inspiration. Here are a few highlight finds:

A2: A2 is a young Swedish furniture brand with a fresh twist on Nordic design. The contemporary collection is comprised of individual objects as well as furniture families and stands out due to visually interesting accents like creative fronts, integrated plant basins and color accents. The young brand is deeply rooted in the Swedish furniture tradition and every single piece is produced in Småland in Sweden. I particularly loved their funky cabinets and furniture pieces with plant basins



Northern Lighting: This Norwegian brand offers a wide range of distinct lighting solution for all kind of interiors - from sleek, typical Scandinavian pieces to colorful and more playful designs. They call themselves 'mood makers' and claim to produce designer lamps and lights for different moods which are inspired by the Nordic nature, culture and society.

Fjordfiesta and Røros Tweed: Two further Norwegian brands that caught my eye at the Stockholm Furniture Fair. Fjordfiesta produces furniture in the typical Scandinavian design tradition but spiced up with a certain Norwegian flavor as they call it. I particularly love the Krobo bench, a design from 1960 with practical accessories that will launch in summer 2014. Røros Tweed is a Norwegian home textiles producer with high quality woolen blankets and pillows and they have been around since 1940. I am afraid I fell in love with their Konfetti blanket!

Hanna Dalrot: In the so-called Greenhouse section young design talents and design schools exhibited their creations. One of them was the Swedish designer Hanna Dalrot who caught my attention with fascinating textile designs named 'Textile Landscapes' in monochromatic hues with dashes of blue. I adored her beautiful, hand painted designs that combined the individuality of brush strokes with a repetitive pattern structure. I hope she will launch her products soon!

Noi Doi: Another young brand in the Greenhouse are was the Norwegian label Noi Doi. The two designers Kathrine Lønstad and Cosmin Cioroiu showcased a multifunctional bench called 'Pulse' and a great lighting design named 'On the Edge'. Very Scandinavian, very cool!

Frama: The Danish design label Frama is not unknown but I was curiously inspecting their stand as I noticed many pieces I didn't know. Frama exhibited furniture pieces, lighting, tableware, accessories - all in a wide range of materials such as wood, steel, stoneware, canvas, concrete, glass, marble and cork. Their designs stand out due to their simplicity - they almost seem Japanese. Frama puts it this way: We present a graphical and plain aesthetic approach to appearance. 

Maze: The Swedish design label Maze aims to amaze the beholder's eye with a refined use of natural materials such as wood and leather and a playful twist in form and structure. The brand pays due attention to sustainability and its entire range of furniture and home accessories is produced locally in Sweden. I really liked their side tables. 

Enough design fun for a Monday! I hope you enjoyed the little tour at the Stockholm Furniture Fair with me and I am wishing you a successful and happy Monday!

Photography by Igor Josifovic & Riikka Kantinkoski

12 comments :

  1. Great images Igor, and what a handsome chap you are ;-) Hope you have a fab start to the week my friend - X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci my dear - don't make me blush here:-) Kudos to Riikka for that on-the-go shot! Happy new week, Anya!

      Delete
  2. Très beau reportage!! Ma tête est remplie de nouvelles inspirations!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loved the Noi Doi and Frama as well I think the first pictures are really cool too, didn't see A2 Looks interesting though ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great round-up Igor.I didn't see half of these. Especially like the Krobo bench & the Konfetti blanket.

    I know you say that "color remains scarce in Scandinavian design"... but it's all about the colour accents for me. They add a certain level of sophistication. The Krobo bench is a case in point.

    Thanks mister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Igor,
    Thanks for this informative post. So many beautiful products and some brands still unknown to me. I think the grey, black and white colours especially dominate in the interior line. When it comes to home accessoires there are some rather colourful Scandinavian brands as e.g.. Marimekko Rice, ISAK or Rie Elise Larsen.
    Viele Grüße
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true Anke, luckily some home accessories brands are more colourful. And in general I find Finnish brands more colourful! The Stockholm Fair was a furniture fair thus there were not too many colourful exhibitors around but some are adorably colourful like my favorite brand Muuto:-)

      Delete
  6. I'll have a blue Northern Light and the copper magazine rack :-) I notice the revival of the pineapple in interior decorating. Very midcentury modern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful inspiration! I love the look in image #4 and the accessories from Frama and the Hanna Dalrot textiles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanx for sharing - wonderful Scandinavian inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...